Friday, February 10, 2006

Newly Minted Joe's Trader

Okay, I give up. I fought it for a long time, mostly because I liked Busch's so much and because it's just so dang far to drive all the way across town, but I'm a Trader Joe's convert now. Are you happy? Well? Are you? Will you stop pestering me now? Good.

I called AAA in early January and had them do me up one of those trip-tik deals so I could find my way all the way over there to scope out the tradin' at Joe's. The locals had said how excellent the food was, how healthfully delicious and inexpensive, how wonderful the frozen stuff tastes, how the whole experience of shopping there had profoundly changed their lives, blah, blah, blah.

My sister got in on the act too, prodding me from California, but I'm pretty sure she gets a kick-back from Joe. At Thanksgiving we stayed at her house and got to try out ALL of the entire line of Trader Joe's hand soaps, hand lotions, bath gels, face scrub, body lotions, room deodorizers, shampoos, conditioners and of course, food items, since my sister's house has been fully stocked by Joe himself. I think she's living in some kind of a test house, like a Nielsen family or something, but she won't tell me. She must have had to sign something. Anyway, it totally looks like a real house except that every single item in it came from Trader Joe's.

The one thing nobody mentioned, which would have sold me a lot sooner, is how doggone nice they are over there. Everyone I encountered was nice. I mean, super nice. Zingerman's nice. Enthusiastic. Thrilled to help me select bread for the fine art of toasting. Delighted to explain what the brass bells are for. And so excited about mozzarella & goat cheese that I faked some additional cheese enthusiasm of my own, just to be polite.

I checked out the restrooms, tried the coffee, helped myself to plenty of free samples, and nearly wept purchasing a bag of SEVEN gorgeous lemons for 2 bucks. The only thing lacking? No magazines at the checkout. I knew there had to be a catch! I just had to... stand there. Waiting. In line. (Behind one person, for the friendliest cashier on the planet.) I guess from now on I'll be like all my friends and have no idea what crazy thing Brittany has gone done or who's gotten divorced/remarried/is having an affair/pregnant with an alien's baby/gained a hundred pounds. I suppose I won't know when Angelina's baby gets born or what Brad designed for Baby's First Tat. Maybe I'll just have to sneak over to Busch's every once in a while for a junky magazine fix, you know, under the guise of picking up some cigarettes, Drano, and baby formula because you can't get everything at Joe's.

11 comments:

Ken said...

As a recipient of Joe's epicurean delights, I must add that not only are the bite-sized chocolate chip cookies wonderful and addicting, but they are ORGANIC! I'm not entirely sure what ORGANIC is, but I think the cookies are actually healthy for me.

Long live Joes!

Debbie said...

Welcome to my world - my "my life has changed and I will never live anywhere that doesn't have a TJ's in town" world! I have been nicknamed the "TJ consultant" at work and would love to hear all about what yummy delights you have found!

Lizzie! said...

I like Busch's because we can get Kid Cereal like LIFE which is little wheat squares with a little sugar. At TJ's the cereal's name is what's in it, like, Super Low Sodium Wheat 'n Granola Grahms' or something like that; one guess what's in it. Also at Busch's we can get sugar cookies that celebrate the next upcoming holiday on almost any calendar.

P.S.
Shelby's Mum-
I'm not a registered user of Blogger, I click Other and type in my name when I get to the identity part of the comments.

Lizzie!

Aunt Allyson said...

Yeah! You made it over there. I want to know what your favorite thing is. Did you remember to get some of that French Honey Pump soap you liked?
The Fettucini Alfredo is amazingly creamy, rich and not even close to what I could accomplish from scratch, really good.! As for the junk food, the Ginger Snaps are the BOMB. Johns favorite is the JoeJoes sandwich cookies. OH! And the sweet and savory trail granola bars are great too. Anyhow, welcome aboard matey!
(Sorry Liz... no Life cereal.)

Susan, of course said...

AJ is quite fond of the Peanut Butter Panda Puffs! I don't even think they're that healthy. My favorite section is where they have all the nuts and snacky things like that, Oh, and the dark chocolate covered espresso beans are soooo good!!

Debbie said...

We love the frozen sweet potato fries, corn bread mix, $.69 pound of pasta, minestrone soup, and I eat either the frozen pad thai, veggie burrito or veggie enchilada every day at work!

Shelby's Mum said...

Thanks for all the suggestions! I love the honey sesame cashews from the squirrel food aisle, Liz (and I) really like the frozen gnocchi, and Ken seems to have kept everything down, but other than the cookies hasn't expressed a lot of enthusiasm for anything in particular. Oh, I also like the frozen chicken burritos and chimichangas. Emily likes the cheese puffs, sold in a bag and similar to Cheetos. And of course I love the French honey hand soap. Mmmmm...

Ken said...

The frozen shrimp fried rice is great and it really does cook in 3 minutes.

Shelby's Mum said...

Really? You liked the rice? I thought it was kind of so-so. We're gonna try those frozen sweet potato fries next.

Lizzie! said...

Ewwwwwww!!!!!!!!! Not Sweet Potatoe Fries!!!! The last time I had them (from somewhere else) I tried to avoid them.

I like the Capitans Cookies. Now those, are good.

David said...

Before....before...before...before (repeated for Debbie's confort) I was married, I should have started a Trader Dave's? Why you ask? Look at all the women TJ attracts!