Monday, January 30, 2006

This & That

As he was about to leave this morning, Ken patted me on the head and said something very general that means “goodbye.” I thought the neutrality of the head pat combined with whatever it was he said, it being so bland I can’t even remember what it was… was all a bit sober & businesslike, even for married folks. I called towards his back “Pretty soon you’re going to start calling me Pal” and he yelled from the door “Have a good day, Sport!’ Without missing a beat Emily answered “See ya later, Kiddo!”

Speaking of my buddy Ken, he is a freaking genius. He waved his hands very quickly over the computer keyboard, chanted mysterious things in a language I don’t understand, sacrificed a small woodland creature and somehow that combination magically got the Flickr uploader to run a hell of a lot faster. It’s still not wicked-fast, an actual computer term printed on actual computer guy t-shirts worn by actual computer geeks, but it’s just about as fast as I can handle. Yesterday I added Thanksgiving pictures from our visit to my sister’s house in California, Ken’s birthday dinner at Zingerman’s Roadhouse and a couple from home. There’s also a few new ones scattered here and there, but like Easter eggs, another official computer term, you’ll just have to hunt around for those!

Liz is off school today, in celebration of one of those self-created school holidays… Teachers Pray Over Grades Day or something like that. I’m not sure exactly what it is, but they sure do look like they could use the break, so whatever. I’m not complaining because No School Today translates to Liz and me enjoying a full day of Contemplative Sports, with special emphasis on heading out for some shoe shopping. Catch ya later, amiable chums!

10 comments:

Angie said...

Loved the pictures from Thanksgiving...looked fun! I anxiously await pictures from the debacle that was our family Christmas dinner/gathering!Wait...is Richard still waiting for his Coke?

Susan, of course said...

Where in Marin was your Thanksgiving? That park looks suspiciously like the one down the street from my ex-inlaws.

Anonymous said...

Angie, be careful... your mother may be reading this and have another "melt down"...Aunt T

Shelby's Mum said...

Susan, of course Gerstle Park is in San Rafael. (which is not pronounced like the Ninja Turtle, btw.)

Susan, of course said...

San Rafael is where my ex in-laws live. Was it on a street called De la Guerra?

Shelby's Mum said...

Susan, of course I have no idea. Along with being spectacularly bad with directions and highways, I also suck at street names. My sister lives on a road called Marin, if that helps.

ALLYSON! ARE YOU THERE, DEAR? SUSAN, OF COURSE WANTS TO KNOW THE STREET NAME! OF THE PARK? WHAT IS IT? HER EX-IN-LAWS LIVE BY YOU! DO YOU KNOW THEM? THEY SOUND NICE, BUT DON'T TOUCH THEIR FRIDGE MAGNETS!

Shelby's Mum said...

Susan, of course my sister can't make comments right now because she forgot her password. She called me to pass along to you that the park is on San Rafael Avenue. She hasn't lived there long enough to know all the other street names. But I think it is safe to say 1. it's probably the same park, and 2. it's amazing you could recognize it from the Flickr photos!

Lizzie! said...

HI!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dad did his amazing Computer genious stuff with the key board,and magic language, so now I can comment!!!!!!!!!!!!
HI EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aunt Allyson said...

Lisa and Susan...

FYI, I looked into this and no it's not the neighborhood. :o(
De la Guerra is north west of us, about a ten minute drive. There is a park there, called Terra Linda. It is one that I have not been to.

Shelby's Mum said...

Thanks Allyson. I'll be sure to mention this to Susan, of course.