Friday, October 07, 2005

Then Write About That

One of my favorite writerly tricks or maybe it's a philosophy, is simply called Then Write About That. As in, "I don't know what to write" or "all I can think about is my busted carburetor" or "but I'm so depressed" or "I've already used every good idea I ever had." Then write about that. I've tried to teach this to my kids, when they whine about not being able to do a writing assignment for this or that reason. I say it is perfectly alright to then write about that. So I've been sitting here for a day and a half, thinking about how I have nothing to write about and how I've started a few things about the wedding we are going to this weekend or how my hair highlights went dreadfully wrong but those pieces really are just shitty first drafts and not ready for public consumption and how I'd promised myself I'd add something new to this blog thing every day and maybe that was too lofty a goal or even a mistake since now I feel pressured but I did it to myself and have no on else to blame and how I've been reading too much lately and how I can only hear that writer's voice in my head now instead of mine and how that is the one thing people have said about this blog is that it sounds just like me and then I think about how I am giving up coffee because I'm pretty sure I'm an addict and I'll be damned if I am going to let a chemical I choose to ingest get the best of me but now I'm afraid that perhaps any creativity I ever had might just have been the caffeine talking and oh my god I have got to remember this in case someone ever offers me cocaine again because if this is caffeine withdrawl and with my family history then I don't even want to imagine what that withdrawl would be like much less the blow to creativity and how difficult it would be to find a good reliable dealer anyway and then it dawned on me to, um, write about that. So. What have you been up to?

7 comments:

Joan said...

I was going to call you to see why there was no posting on the blog yesterday, and to make sure you weren't in a funk. Then I decided that was probably too much pressure. Thanks for explaining. You are now officially released from your promise of writing every day. dkghiwetsxgk my pushy dog islitsdg is insisting on being on my lap hdgllsdg. Highly uncomfortable. Now climbing onto my laptop since that seems to be getting my attention. msdgh must go.

Shelby's Mum said...

No funk, but thanks for thinking of me! I probably will do something every day because I love writing this stuff. It's just that yesterday I wrote something wickedly funny but then had second thoughts about posting it. I tried to contact the person who might be offended, but I couldn't reach him. So then I chickened out completely and deleted the whole thing. So of course then the muse got pissed off and refused to help work on anything else. She's very temperamental, that one.

Anonymous said...

Was that all one sentence, 'cuz it seemedlike one loooooooooooooooooooooong sentence.

Shelby's Mum said...

Oh good! Another comment from my good friend Anonymous. Yes, darling, that is one long sentence. See, that's how the voices in my head talk, all rambly and continuous-like. It's because they don't have to stop and breath which is when most people would punctuate. It also makes it seem like maybe I did try the cocaine after all...

Joan, your faithful reader said...

Seriously though. I was at the Washtenaw Literacy fundraiser last Friday night and I overheard one guy saying to the other: "I hear about a hundred voices at the same time, it's hard to decide which one to listen to." He looked perfectly normal, so I tried to think of a context that wasn't so scary, but so far I haven't come up with any. They do have medication for that kind of thing, I hear...

Shelby's Mum said...

Those normal looking ones are the worst. I just read something referring to this as "the committee" as in, "I'm not sure yet who to put on my insurance policy, the committee is still discussing it."

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that I'm your good friend instead of a nameless nobody that reads your blog!