Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Pet Peeve Wednesday

Old Fashion Chicken Soup: Um, no. It's Old Fashioned, because it has been fashion-ed, see? The soup was made in the older soup-making way. Fashion has nothing to do with it. Chickens literally fly; they don't look fly. The chicken did not get all dressed & accessorized in the latest style, get it?

Ice tea: No, it's iced tea, actually. See, the tea has already been iced to make it cold. Like brewed tea or steeped tea or sweetened tea. Likely, the tea has actual ice in it, yes, but that isn't the point. I also realize it's difficult to pronounce correctly, but to write it on a chalkboard, or worse, print it on your menu? No. No. NO!

"I can help whose next." Or is it who's next? Either way... WRONG. I was a cashier in a filthy produce store and a bank teller in the roughest, poorest part of Pontiac when I was still young & sweet and still managed to say "May I please help the next person in line?" This is Ann bleeping Arbor, the snobbiest town in the entire midwest. Surely we can do better.

"I could care less." Really? You could? But you just don't want to? How 'bout you get back to me when you couldn't care less; then we'll talk.

Yes, I'm a total bitch. And your point is?

4 comments:

lar said...

You forgot some: could of or should of instead of could've or should've. Loose instead of lose as in "you don't want to loose your keys." Ugh. I really hate that one. Or how about suppose to for supposed to? I could go on and on. Let's face it - people are idiots.

Anonymous said...

Is it possible that "I could care less" is a Michigan thing? This one has always irritated me but I've never heard it in the Chicago area and I don't remember hearing it elsewhere in my travels.

Anonymous said...

Irregardless of you trying to stay anonymous, you're (sic) reference to Chicago tells us exactly who you is!!!! Just ax anybody!!! And you-guys shouldn't go Newclue-ure,just because some people don't talk so good!!!

Shelby's Mum said...

now I have clear pitcher's of who you both are!