Sunday, October 23, 2005

Courage: Afraid And Doing It Anyway

Today I felt so proud of Liz I thought my heart would burst. She’s always been a quiet kid, bookish and kind of shy. This weekend she forgot her Language Arts textbook at school, and she needed it for some homework. First she tried going up to the school, to see if she could get into her locker. But the school was closed. She came home defeated and I took pity on her. I know how much she dreads using the phone, hates calling anyone, asking for help, etc. so I said I’d call her studdy-buddy for her to see if he could loan her his book. She watched me make the call and leave a message. Then she did something amazing. She cold-called two other people, girls carefully chosen from the school’s phone directory. They’re both really nice girls, but they aren’t friends of hers, they just happen to be in the same class. Unfortunately neither of them was home either, so she had to leave messages. Then she decided to blow her mother's mind by calling someone else, a boy. She’s known this particular boy for years; he’s really a good guy, a friend of a friend and the son of one of my friends, but still. She called him, awkwardly, but she did it. She spoke to him and arranged to pick up the textbook. Then just to blow her mother's mind the rest of the way she went over to his house and picked up the book all by herself. After she got back, the phone started ringing. Everyone else, including her studdy-buddy, called back with book offers and details about the homework assignment. She talked to everyone who called, albeit quietly and quickly, but she did it. And then she sat down and got started on her work. Maybe if you’ve never been shy yourself, you won’t understand the significance of this story and why I’m so proud that Liz would push herself beyond her comfort zone the way she did today. When she was little Liz used to pause before doing something new and say “I’m finding my courage.” Today I saw her find even more of that courage and I couldn’t be more proud of her.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never been a phone person either and I've always been shy. I can tell you that when I was Liz's age, I never would have called a boy for any reason! The boy she called is very sweet and kind - he gets it from me. Not only did he loan her the book, but he had 3 more questions to finish himself. He decided that Liz needed the book more, so he was just going to finish up the work at school. What a sweetheart!

Shelby's Mum said...

because he decided Liz needed the book more? Are you trying to make me cry? Are you? TOTAL Sweetheart. I guess that's why she chose him!

Lizzie! said...

I don't really like calling people on the phone. That's just the way I am. :)

Tina said...

I know exactly how Liz feels about calling people on the phone! Boy does that bring back memories.