Saturday, September 03, 2005

Ken Ponders Bra Strappage

This morning Ken and I went out for breakfast alone, without the kids, before they got up. We were nearly finished when a young couple sat down at a table near us. The woman was especially attractive, probably a college student. A few minutes later Ken kind of cleared his throat and shifted in his seat, a signal to me that I should prepare myself for something profound. He said "Well, now, I've always had some difficulty with the bra straps showing. I mean, she knows they're showing, right?" He indicated the lovely young thing. She was wearing one of those strappy little tops with her high-color-contrasting skinny bra straps completely visible. Apparently, he's been thinking about this for some time.

He was quick to point out that he's totally fine with it now. It was the transition he'd been wrestling with. When he was young and started paying attention to such things, bra straps were absolutely not supposed to show, and any glimpse was an illicit thrill. A few years ago it started happening more and more, then became acceptable. Now he feels it's "almost intentional that all these bra straps are fully visible." He reiterated that he's fine with it, rather he's a little confused about where he's supposed to be looking or not. I assured him that's the whole point, and perhaps the same deal as thongs.

6 comments:

Ken said...

Shall I feel honored that the first Blog entry of Shelby's Mum's blog is not only about my lingerie observations but mentions me by name? No where in these blog entries does Shelby's Mum come forward with her name. Hmmm. Asymetrical blog name usage.

Bill said...

Excellent point!

Anonymous said...

Well... I'm with K.O. on this one (see how privacy-conscious I am - nobody will EVER guess who that is). People around you are watching what they say from now on, LISA!

Shelby's Mum said...

You're probably right about that, anonymous. It might also help if I stop threatening people with "that's going into my blog!"

Ken said...

Time out! The conversation has diverged into an intellectual privacy discussion from the racy lingerie topic. Can someone get us back on track here. :)

Sammy said...

Ken, just go to the Tommy-whatever posting if you want something racy. There's hot something happening there.